Dangers of Holiday Sweets for Dogs
As a general rule, you should keep sweets out of your dog's reach at all times. According to the ASPCA, if your dog eats candy that's high in sugar, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Sugar is also contains empty calories (meaning they provide no nutritional benefits), which can lead to extra calories and weight-related health conditions such as obesity. Sugar-free treats are off-limits, too. Sugar-free candies often contain xylitol, a sweetener that, if consumed by dogs, can lead to low blood sugar and liver disease. Be sure to read nutrition labels before sharing anything with your dog so you can ensure what you're giving them isn't potentially toxic.
It's important to keep your pet away from some of the most popular sweet treats during your holiday festivities.
Chocolate, Peppermint, Marshmallows, Popcorn and Candy Canes just to name a few tasty treats that are TOXIC to your pets!